Interactive, on-line Summer School “Security and Society in the Information Age” at Collegium Civitas will be held between July 13 and August 24. We invite interested students from Poland and abroad to apply by June 20. The Summer School course, combined with a research internship offers a broad overview of the security challenges faced by the countries of Central Europe and also by NATO and the European Union in the XXI century. It will focus specifically on topics incl. cybersecurity, terrorism, hybrid warfare, intelligence, and the implications of COVID-19 outbreak for international security. During the research internship the participants will be working on their own research projects and in result a book will be published containing papers written by the participants.
The program is divided into two parts:
• July 13 – July 25: on-line course
• July 28 – August 24: on-line research internship
The participants will leave the course with an in-depth knowledge of some of the most challenging security issues in contemporary Central Europe, and the world, and will gain a sense of the importance of the region on international affairs.
“We are building on the experience of the Polish-American summer school courses which have been held at Collegium Civitas for the past 6 years. This time we are inviting interested students from all over the world, not only the US. We adopted a flexible approach and we want to address the needs of the participants, that is why we prepared an exclusive on-line course, where live on-line classes will be combined with asynchronic learning and 1:1 online tutoring.” – says Dr. Paulina Piasecka, expert in security and Deputy Director of the Terrorism Research Center.
“This is a credited course, combined with a research internship, so the participants can obtain 6 ECTS (equivalent to 3 US credits). Apart from the lectures, seminars and discussions, the students will work under supervision of mentors from the Terrorism Research Center on their own research papers which we will publish in our academic series “Security and Society in the Information Age” – adds Dr. Katarzyna Maniszewska, Summer School Director and Vice-Rector for International Relations at Collegium Civitas.
Experts in security, counter-terrorism, risk management, network theory and many more areas will work with the participants on the following topics:
• Security in Times of Asymmetric Threats
• From Defense to Crisis Management – Evolution of Security Cooperation Mechanisms in Central Europe
• The EU and Central Europe: Past, Present and Future
• NATO and Central Europeans
• War & Information Conflict in the 21st Century
• Terrorism in Europe Divided by the Iron Curtain and Today
• The Issue of Migration
• Security Issues and the Media
• The State in Cyberspace: Espionage, Sabotage and Cyberwar
• The European Union and Cybersecurity
• Pandemics and National and Global Security
• Graph Theory and Network Structures in a Confrontation with Asymmetric Threats
• Post-Covid19 World Security
• Black Swan Theory and the Covid-19 Outbreak
• Rule of Law in the Post-Pandemic World (discussion)
• Risk Assessment and Risk Analysis
• Managing the Risk and Impact of Pandemics
During the research internship the participants will be working on their own research and in result a book will be published containing papers written by the participants.
Duration of the program: 6 weeks
- July 13 – July 25: on-line course
- July 28 – August 24: on-line tutoring of the participants’ work on the research paper for the course publication
Number of credits: 6 ECTS (equivalent to 3 US credits)
Program tuition: 900 USD
Application deadline: June 20
Who can apply?
Undergraduate and graduate students, who are over 18 years old, and have an advanced command of English (native language or C1-C2 level) and a strong interest in security issues.
How to apply?
Fill in the application form, sign it and send a scanned document to firstname.lastname@example.org
The applications will be reviewed and you will be notified about the outcomes within 5 days. Please, note that you may also be invited you for an admissions interview (held via skype).
For more information please see:
Please note that the minimum number of participants enrolled in the course is 10 people. The course will not be held if less participants are admitted. All applicants will be informed by June 27.